Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Story of a 3DS fanboy

Juancho here:

I’m a huge Nintendo fanboy. My first system was an N64 and I didn’t own a non-Nintendo product until 2005, when we got a PS2. Even though I use my PS3 more than the Wii these days, I still maintain a soft spot for the big N’s products. That’s why I was moderately excited when the 3DS, the successor to the wildly successful DS, was released in 2011. I held off on getting one until Christmas of last year, when I decided to get the XL model. The system is more than worth its weight.


Nintendo has been steadily releasing a lot of quality exclusive games for it, which offer the unique handheld experience that they’re famous for. Stuff like Super Mario 3D Land is almost like playing a portable Mario Galaxy, with small levels geared towards on-the-go play still having clever level design. Kid Icarus: Uprising, one of its most prominent exclusives, has a unique control scheme combining rail shooters and third-person shooters, with a fantastic and genuinely funny storyline. Third party games like Resident Evil Revelations show amazing use of the 3D and really push the system to its graphical limits.

The online component of the 3DS is also a steady evolution if Nintendo’s online strategies. You can play online, buy original games on the store and even download full retail games. The store has many hidden gems and quality titles, with pretty decent prices and occasional discounts. The console also connects to nearby 3Dses with the StreetPass feature, which provide bonuses on a few games and applications; especially Mii Plaza, which is where the characters you meet participate in fun games.


Looking forward, I think I’l, be doing most of my gaming on the 3DS. I have no interest on a next-gen console, considering I have a fairly large backlog on Steam, PS3 and 3DS. Additionally, the 3DS is getting a lot of good games this year, spearheaded by the new Pokémon in October. Im personally looking forward to Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, since I’m a big M&L RPG fan. I’ll probably end up buying games that I won’t play for months >_>

Regardless, go look up a list of 3DS games. It has come a long way since the dark days of mid 2011, and it has a lot of good stuff on it. If some of those games interest you, you should consider getting one. And no, I was not paid to write this, otherwise I would advertise a lot more games. I just really like my 3DS, even if I haven’t really had a chance to play games on it in the past few weeks.


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment